County of Asotin
Regional Stormwater Program
Inform. Educate. Prevent.
Illicit Discharge Detection And Elimination Regulatory Requirements
The County must develop, implement, and enforce a program to detect and eliminate illicit discharges into its municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4). This element of the SWMP requires that the County:
- Develop and adopt an ordinance by August 16, 2009 that prohibits non-stormwater (illicit) discharges and authorizes enforcement actions.
- Develop procedures for characterizing illicit discharges, spills, or illegal dumping, and procedures for tracing and removing sources of illicit discharges.
- Develop a map of the MS4, showing the location of all known connections to the MS4 and outfalls to receiving waters. Beginning in 2010, one-third of the mapping must be completed by February 15 of each year with mapping being completed by February 15, 2012.
- Prioritize receiving waters and conduct field assessments.
- Establish a hotline for public reporting of spills and other illicit discharges and maintain records of calls and follow-up actions taken.
- Provide adequate training to municipal staff.
- Implement procedures for program evaluation and assessment.